Tri-State Ag & Dairy Expo
Thursday, September 16
Iowa’s Dairy Center
Every fall, Iowa's Dairy Center welcomes high school students for the annual Tri-State Ag & Dairy Expo. Nearly 350 FFA members from Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin high schools participate in the event’s activities. The expo features dairy cattle judging and dairy foods contests, including the Northeast District FFA Dairy Cattle Career Development Event. The NICC Dairy Science Club and agriculture students help with the preparation of cattle, contests and seminars. Teachers looking to participate in the event can contact us.
The Northeast Iowa Dairy & Agriculture Foundation, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach and Northeast Iowa Community College are proud to provide virtual curriculum to help students learn how to judge dairy cattle and dairy foods.
The ISU Dairy Science Club has recorded virtual trainings on how to judge a dairy cow and how to give oral reasons.
- Dairy Judging 101 (PDF)
- Dairy Judging 101 (YouTube)
- Tips for Giving Oral Reasons when Judging Dairy Cattle (PDF)
- Tips for Giving Oral Reasons when Judging Dairy Cattle (YouTube)
- Learning to Give Oral Reasons by ISU Dairy Specialist, Fred Hall (PDF)
The NICC Dairy Science Club has put together pre-recorded sets of cow classes to practice your skills. The ISU Dairy Science Club has also provided official placings on the classes, along with an official set of reasons on one of the cow classes.
- Holstein 3 Year Old Cows (YouTube)
- Holstein Aged Cows (YouTube)
- Jersey 4 Year Old Cows (YouTube)
- Jersey 4 Year Old Sample Oral Reasons Given by ISU Dairy Science Club (YouTube)
- Dairy Judging Practice Classes - Official Placings and Cuts
Dr. Stephanie Clark, ISU Food Science Department, provided virtual instruction of the Dairy Foods Contest and a copy of a Dairy Foods Test/Key that can be used as a practice for future contests.
- Dairy Products from Farm to Table (YouTube)
- Dairy Products Judging Contest Training (YouTube)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2018 (1)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2018 (2)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2019 (1)
- FFA Dairy Foods Exam - 2019 (2)
Your feedback on the curriculum is important. Please fill out the evaluation Here.